Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 3: Going Fast and Slowing Down.

Day 3 started early, but for my tastes not early enough. I rolled out of Sketchsville, USA at 6:40AM with only a 2 hour drive to Glacier. Problem was though that Many Glacier Campground has been filling up by 10AM or earlier the last two days. Yet again, I was hauling ass to somewhere.

I stopped in Bookings for gas, water, and nature's call. Tired and frustrated I couldn't make a decision on anything, "Should I get a big water, or 6 little waters, is this brand okay, 2 big waters, okay, okay, the 6-pack...............and a big one too. Eww, Lowfat Chocolatte Milk!"

Somewhere on that long road to Glacier National Park I became bored enough to try and see how fast Bug Deathstar could go (doesn't Bug Deathstar sound like a goth stripper's name). First attempt 97mph, so of course I had to try and break 100. I did that several miles later, only to think let's try for 105. Which is when I found out that a fully loaded 2003 Honda Element 4spd FWD can go 104mph tops, downhill. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid me.

Rolled into the Many Glacier entrance tired and irritable, ready to hear the campsite was full. The extremely friendly ranger said that she spoke with the camp directors 15 minutes prior and 2 sites were left. In some ways that felt like worse news. So I set off down to the campsite, more worried and frazzled than before. So much so that I couldn't enjoy all of the incredible views driving into the park. "Got to get a site, got to get there quick, slow down, slow down, don't hit anyone, you'll get it if you get it, okay......damn it, got to hurry, what was that speed limit again?"

Pulling in, the campsite director apparently had just finished a lap around the camp area to figure out the number of sites available. Stepping out of the car, I asked, "Please tell me there is a site left." 6 were left in fact. To use the word relief was an understatement.

Weight off my shoulders, I setup camp and went about actually enjoying my day.

Lunchtime was at Many Glacier Lodge, which is every bit as rustic and majestic as every guide and review on the place reveals. It overlooks Swiftcurrent Lake, perfect for sunrises and sunsets. Literally an idiot's guide to landscape photography out the viewing deck. As far as the meal goes, a grilled sausage with green peppers and some sort of local tapped Red brew completed my full easement into relaxation.

I think I was dehydrated because the beer was having a great effect on my eyelids. Back at camp, I took a shower and crawled into the tent for a nap. My body was rightfully tired from all that driving and a little sleep felt amazing. My vacation had finally arrived.

(Yeah there's more)

3 1/2 hours later it was 5:30PM and time to start making dinner. Seeing that I hadn't had a vegetable for 3 days that doesn't rhyme with "ryed otatoes", I thought some green beans and a little Pasta Roni was on the menu. Unfortunately my parents Coleman Stove thought otherwise. After much adjustment, refitting, and retooling the stove was only good at creating giant fireballs of death, so PB&J for me then.

Dinner was done and I noticed a guy walking by with a tripod. "Ah, sunset!" Good idea to me too. Grabbed the camera and scampered back to the lodge for some obsessive pics of sundown. (insert pics here)

The day ended with a drive into Babb to speak with my girlfriend. Good to hear Parisa's voice. As I drove back into the park, one last quick call to Mom and back for bed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt,

    Sounds like the trip is going well. How come you didn't stop at Sturgis and get some good looking leather chaps? LOL!

    Hope you haveing a great time, and enjoy every minute!

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt,

    I tried posting a comment but for some reason it didn't work. Sounds like you are having a great time and I can't wait to hear more about it.

    Take care!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete