Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 2: SD is even more awesome, then not so much, then so much driving...

(Note: will add pictures later)

Miles traveled today: 829.5 miles
Start location: Chamberlain, SD
End location: Great Falls, MT

Well I made it to the end destination but not without hitting a gravel road just after dark, has anyone else ever done rally racing in the dark, with no navigator, and poor lighting, and a windshield full of bug juice, and driving too fast? Anyone? Joe would call this greenlanding, I am pretty sure. Speaking of bug genocide, not as bad today. I have decided that the bugs could be considered the Rebel Forces (or X-wings if you will) and the silver Element I am driving is the Deathstar. So for the rest of this trip the car is referred to as the Bug Deathstar, and so far the deflector shields are working just fine.

That being said I got off to an early start this morning at 5:30AM because I wanted to cover a lot of ground today. First up were the Badlands which we so incredible, and views so spectacular that I got tired of taking pictures. It is just so scenic, I wasn't sure how to capture it in a photo. I took video, and series of photos, it was very tedious until I remembered that I was there to enjoy myself. Quietly I walked off one of the trails and went as far as I could until it was just me sitting on top of the mount. A moment of solitude was nice.

I had a late breakfast down at the Badlands visitor center and met a nice guy named Jeff who sold Indian jewelry that he made himself. No beads from Hobby Lobby but mostly stuff made from real buffalo horns, porcupine needles, etc that were dyed with all natural hand smashed dyes. Very nice and gentle guy that told me everything I wanted to know.

After that it was on down the road for a quick stop into WALL DRUG. It is a BIG TOURIST STORE with a restaurant. That's it, at least for me it was. Back on the road after into a multitude of bikers and tourist attractions in order to reach Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Both were novel, very interesting to see, and very interesting to hear their stories, but almost not worth it due to the lameness of the towns surrounding them. Families need something to do I guess. I couldn't leave quick enough.

I hauled booty out of the Black Hills and avoided Sturgis all together. I figured there are so many bikers that the good riders are here with the bad, and both have been drinking, and I want no part of any accidents. Just 8hrs of road to make it to Grand Falls (felt like 8 days).

Important random note is that my car turned over 100000 miles somewhere in Wyoming today and I feel like I am just breaking her in. What Bug Deathstar isn't a girl's name to you?

Skipped Devil's Tower and Little Big Horn. Custer is so overated, I don't understand how a headstong idiot has thousands of things named after him. Why?

Tomorrow's destination is Many Glacier camp grounds.

I feel like I am at the door step of Glacier now, one more early morning tomorrow and then I can settle into camp at the park and stop freaking driving and start enjoying. I can't wait, goodnight world.

No comments:

Post a Comment